The Bible tell us that “the fields are ripe unto harvest”. If ever that statement were true, it is for South Coastal District.
Our three state mission field encompasses Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi. This mission field has a population in excess of 16 million people. Presently we have 42 churches ministering to that population center.
Every year we have numerous qualified pastoral candidates who desire to plant a church on our district but, funds are limited. What could we do if we could simply plant “one more” church each year over the next ten years? Based upon our present planting rate, that would mean 20 extra churches on our district reaching thousands of more people for Christ and His Kingdom.
Will you join with us in becoming a Harvest Partner? Your prayers are vital to reaching a lost world for Christ. Jesus said, “pray the Lord of the harvest” that He would send out laborers into His harvest field.
The following potential new sites have been identified:
Montgomery, Florence, Dothan, Huntsville, Birmingham, Mobile, Columbus
Valdosta, Brunswick, Rome, Cordele, Warner Robins, St. Mary’s, Albany, Macon, Tifton, Douglasville, Hinesville, Dublin, Augusta, Athens, Waycross, Dalton, Cartersville, Savannah, Atlanta, Ft. Stewart, Milledgeville, Kinsgland
Hattiesburg, Columbus, Brandon, Gulfport, Meridian, Biloxi, Tupelo, Jackson
*We have found that churches that are mothered by a single church or a cluster of churches have a greater success rate, quicker growth and move at a faster pace toward becoming fully established as a healthy congregation.
Are You A Church Planter?
A Word from the District Superintendent about the Process
Thanks for your interest in church planting on the South Coastal District of The Wesleyan Church. Our district has had a passion for over one decade for the planting of NewStart churches in Georgia, Alabama and Mississippi, and God has been so good. You might check out our district webpage. The district website has church planting resources as well. We recommend the following steps toward district church planting:
1. Start praying for God to give you direction as to the place geographically on the district.
2. Go to the Evangelism and Church Growth Page on www.churchplanterprofiles.com and do a self-assessment to answer:
– How well do you match the church planter personality?
– What other assessments might you engage?
– Do you have affirmation from other leaders you are a potential church planter?
3. Be willing to go bi-vocational.
– We recommend you find a job in the target town and start with that approach the first year.
– Church planting at its heart is always community focused and grass roots identified.
– Bi-vocational will help you catch the heartbeat of the community quickly!
4. Read Nelson Searcy’s book “Launch: Starting a New Church from Scratch”. It is one of the finest approaches to getting your church up and strong as soon as possible. We have used the Launch approach with good results.
5. Put together a strategic church plant proposal in written form and send to the DS.
6. Find a sponsoring mother church that will sponsor you the first year.
7. Establish a time to do a telephone interview with the DS/E&CG Director/Assistant DS.
8. Visit with our E&CG Board and share your proposal and vision for planting a church.
9. Get E&CG approval.
10. Visit with the DBA and obtain DBA approval.
11. Gather 120 prayer partners and raise funds for church planting. Our district will usually match whatever monies you raise for the first year Launch by your supporters.
Hope this is helpful in knowing steps you can take to begin thinking realistic about church planting on the South Coastal District.
For Church Planters
Our Church Planters have have periodic telephone conferences with Dr. Berry.
- Phone number:
- Conference ID: 4321097
Interested in Being a Church Planter?
Submit a resume with the following items.
- Picture (with family if applicable)
- Your ministry growth trends
- Church Planter Profile Assessment (you don’t have to be a church planter to enjoy this survey) please go to this link and take the survey and send your results to me. It can be accomplished in a few minutes. This self-assessment tool will provide personal insight into four key areas of pastoral ministry. www.churchplanterprofiles.com
*A note from the District Superintendent:
- Our district exist to make disciples for Jesus Christ. We are blessed to have the largest mega church in The Wesleyan Church (12Stone) and probably some of the smallest churches in our tribe. We also have the John Maxwell Leadership Center and Hephzibah within our district boundary. Best of all, we have some of the finest, compassionate, and Christ loving pastors in the denomination. We are blessed!
- Districts are like churches and the leaders that lead them. 80% of the health of a district is based upon the pastors who lead the churches. Without healthy and transformational pastors we can’t move forward with effectiveness. That is why we take seriously those who join our district family. We would love to include you as a possible pastor considered for one of our churches. So let me share our expectation for those joining our district:
Every pastor should be a healthy LIFE giving Pastor:
- LOYALITY – We believe every pastor should be able to follow the leadership of those over them whether it be; another colleague, superintendent, or district board. We applaud pastors who know how to follow as well as lead. We are a Wesleyan district so we expect our pastors to be loyal to the district and the denomination. We expect you to wear the “jersey “of our team! This also means showing up for district events and being a good dependable team member!
- INFLUENCE—We believe pastors should use their influence to rally the congregation toward the mission of Jesus. Your influence as a godly and passionate Jesus lover should be evident in your life, family, and ministry. People should see Jesus in you and follow your heart to win a lost world to Christ.
- FRUIT – We expect every pastor to produce Kingdom results. Good intentions are commendable but not acceptable according to Jesus. Just surviving is not an alternative! Leader’s lead their congregation toward health, growth, and the salvation of souls. Pastors are expected to lead the way by being a soul winner, train others to invite, share, and win. Healthy churches and alive churches can point to fruit that remains!
- EMOTIONAL HEALTHY— We expect our pastors to have a healthy and positive attitude. An attitude that says “we can”. An attitude that sees the positive instead of the negative, the possible miracle instead of the misery of defeat. Positive leaders draw healthy people around them and build a ministry team! Therefore, we are looking for leaders who are confident in Christ and full of faith in the greatness of our God to accomplish even greater for Him.
- I hope these expectations are already deeply ingrained in your personal leadership. If you desire to be part of a growing and missional district come join us in reaching our world and missional area for Jesus. If you want a district where you will be challenged to grow personally in your calling and leadership development then come join us.
Dr. Dan A. Berry, District Superintendent
1261 Parker Road SE
Conyers, Georgia 30094
The South Coastal District is reaching out to our world with the love of Jesus, and influencing our world as we go, through service and relationships.
We would love to have you connect with us. Feel free to browse the site and get to know us. We would enjoy the opportunity to get to know you.